The CIMV sugar syrups relies in all the plant matter components other than lignins or cellulose (C6 sugars). They are mainly composed of C5 sugars and principally xylose.
These sugars show useful properties for animal feed applications, such as texturing and tanning agents that replace formalin.
Furthermore, research activities done by CIMV and its partners should rapidly result in an industrial use of the sugars obtained by refining these syrups, to produce biomolecules or furfural and its numerous derivatives.
The advantages of CIMV sugars syrup:
- A substitute for the formaldehyde used in animal feed (REACH Directive).
- A product that industry can use directly.
- A raw material of non food origin for white biotechnologies.
CIMV sugars syrup commercial applications:
- Now: plant protein tanning and texturing agents for animal feed.
- In future: biofuels, biomolecules and green chemistry.